Thursday, August 27, 2009

Burt the handsome Cocker Spaniel


This is Burt. He lives in my house. He belongs to my grandson and granddaughter. Burt is sick and may not be with us much longer. He is a very special dog, because he loves us all so much. When I prop my feet up on the coffee table he makes circles around the table so he can rub his back on my legs. My son says he is petting himself. Burt can't hear anymore, but he reads sign language. We just have to point to where we want him to go and he goes there. He is always a gentleman too. If we are offering snacks to all the dogs (we have 5) he just sits very still and stares at the snack willing it to be his. He is soft as silk and rarely ever barks unless someone is at the door. Burt is 12 1/2 years old now. He used to be a hunting dog and run through the wilderness until his previous owner whistled. When he heard the whistle he came running back and jumped into the back of the truck. He loves our cats (we have 2) and they tolerate him.
Burt has a tumor now and it is growing quickly. We are petting and hugging and kissing him every single day, so he will know how much he is loved.

2 comments:

  1. Aww poor baby! I found you by searching pugs! It's so weird you have pugs and cocker spaniels. Our family started out with a cocker spaniel and we now have a pug (we had them both together but the spaniel died a few months after getting the pug). I grew up with a pug who lived 16 years I was 17 when she died. I LOVE pugs. I love cocker spaniels too but not so much like their hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so new at this blog thing I just found your comment. Thank you for your kind wishes. Yes, we do have the pugs and cocker spaniels in common. We loved our Cocker Spaniel too, but found the silky hair was a real flea magnet. Our little pugs are missing their friend Burt and so is Harley the Keeshond. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete